Wednesday, August 19, 2009
1 teaspoon oil
¾ pound whole green tomatillos, in their husks
½ small red onion, peeled and quartered
1 small Serrano pepper, stemmed and seeded
1 to 2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lime juice
3 to 6 ounces water
½ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro
1 ripe Hass avocado
1. Lightly oil the griddle or skillet with coconut oil and heat over medium-high heat.
2. Roast the tomatillos, onion, Serrano pepper, and garlic until they begin to brown.
3. Remove tomatillos to a bowl and cover the roasted vegetables with ice to cool.
4. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard the husks from the tomatillos and cut them into quarters.
5. Place all the roasted vegetables, black pepper, lemon and lime juices, water, and salt into a blender and blend until smooth.
6. Refrigerate the blended salsa, tightly covered, for several hours orup to 2 days.
7. Just before serving, dice the avocado and add it and the cilantro to the salsa. Pulse a few times to blend slightly, leaving some chunks of avocado intact.
8. Serve chilled with a garnish of lime wedges and whole cilantro leaves.
You can mess around with the spices to get it how you like it.
Posted by Kendee at 6:51 PM